Thursday, April 10, 2008

Trinity United Church of Christ : The importance of Culture with Dr. Asa Hilliard

Many people ask, why does Trinity United Church of Christ insist on expressing African culture? Because of the norm in western society, when African Americans in particular, express pride in their African culture, they are seen to be anti-American radical black supremest (which is totally ridiculous)! Now I'm not sure if the same rule is applied to Irish Americans, who although they may be many generations removed from Ireland, practice and celebrate their culture. Or Greek Americans who do the same. I think that as stated in the documentary below many Americans believe that all of the 'African' in American Blacks has been stripped away during slavery. But studies reveal otherwise. Take some time and watch a few segments of the documentary African - American Culture: A Second Look. Produced by Dr. Asa Hilliard with appearances by Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, John Henrick Clark, and Dr Randall Skelton and many others!














3 comments:

des52 said...

Where can I get a copy of the documentary? I would love to watch it. I just sent my son SBA: The Reawakening of the African Mind by Hilliard. He is using it for a research paper in college.

truthToPower said...

Des I don't know where you can get a copy. I googled it and nothing came up. I just happened to stumble upon it on YouTube. Divine guidance I guess

1-Observer said...

Glad to have found your blog (by way of the so-called "UCCTruths" blog). I saw the interview as it aired and was very impressed. As Rev. Wright described how the Blues is source of great strength and resilience in times of trial, I was moved to tears.

I'm a white women who grew up poor, who was in the minority as a white student throughout grade school, who went to Black Panther meetings in the early 70's while other young whites went to protests against the Vietnam war. Now, as an older adult, I find myself in a crazy segregated world. My nearly all-white, middle-class church wants to have conversations about race in the privacy of their own fellowship, and that frustrates me. Maybe that's where they must start. I'm realizing that I cannot fully understand the frame of reference of people who grew up in a white, middle-class world; and they certainly do not understand mine.

I want to have conversations about race in places where it matters, places where walls can begin to come down and bridges can be built. Let's start talking about our prejudices, our biases, our misconceptions. What is left to fear? We can move beyond those foolish things to a better place--and it's about time we did!

But I'm not finding anybody in my community--no churches, agencies, or groups--who are calling people together for honest conversations about race. I'm ready to step up and get serious out this--and am looking for others who are ready, too.